1.21.2014

Mombasa Branch Christmas party

On December 12th, which is Jamhuri Day--a national holiday, we made our way into town to a place called Little Theater where we were to meet for our Branch Christmas party. Our Relief Society president had been cooking all morning at the church. I felt bad that I wasn't able to make it to help cook, but some other ladies showed up.

The party was really relaxed. We had a short program with the kids putting on a "nativity" the likes of which I have never seen before. The costumes they found looked like they were for a Mardi Gras celebration. But the kids were so excited to be decked out.

 Betty played Mary, the mother of Jesus. That's Joseph to her left and an angel to her right.




Cute inn keeper.


This is Joy. She sits on Hunter's lap every Sunday. I don't know why she favors him so much...I mean, I know why I do, but I don't know why she does. Heh heh.


The primary sang, some did a dance, I sang with Sister Mwangi, and we played all these hilarious games. Once again, Hunter will have to add his videos later. We played some funny traditional field games, like balance the egg on the spoon race, and the potato sack race, tug of war, and jump rope.

Miriam jumping rope.

Elder Ledwaba from South Africa, and Elder Tausi (I forget where he's from) got in on the jump rope fun. Look at this funny succession of pictures:





Poor thing. Nice reaction Elder Tausi.

Pretty Betty.

We also played this funny game where a bunch of couples are brought to the front. The husbands have to blindfold their eyes and guess by touch whose hands belong to their wife. The wives removed all their jewelry to make it extra tricky. A young newly wed, Brother Robinson, thought he had found his wife, but it turned out to be the senior missionary, Sister Palmer! It was hilarious!!!! Hunter also guessed wrong. He said that when he felt my hands, they weren't sweaty and clammy like they usually are, so he said "No". Ha! The only ones who knew their spouse's hands were Brother Richard, and Elder Palmer. Way to go, brothers!

What and fun and memorable day!

1 comment:

Steffy said...

That looks like it was a super fun party! I'm glad you guys have such a great branch!