I find that I'm having to repeatedly draw upon the emergency preparedness lessons we get from church because I'm having to LIVE these principles every day. I never knew how important they are until I moved to this country!
For example, I have to be sure to charge my emergency lantern every day or two so that it's ready when I need it. The power goes out at least once a day here. Once it was out for eight hours. I have a back up gas stove for cooking, so I also have to keep the gas tank filled. I keep a pair of sandals and a headlamp near my bed at night in case I need it. I'm so glad I brought those headlamps.
I've also re-learned how to properly store water. I found really simple, non-overwhelming information on this church web page. It's kinda funny, because I was just thinking one morning that we should fill up some of our old mineral water jugs and store/rotate the water we pump from the Seychelle water filter/pump (Mom and Dad learned about this pump while at the missionary training center, and told me about it. I ordered it before I left). I filled up five 5-liter jugs, and that afternoon, the water got really low. In fact it completely stopped pouring out of some of our faucets. We could access water from others, but I thought, thank goodness Heavenly Father is inspiring me about these things that I need to learn and do to keep our family prepared.
I also put together a list of phone numbers for the doctor, power company, other important contacts and tacked it on the wall just in case we need it. I've used it several times. Here's an interesting fact Miriam told me about. If you every need to be picked up by an ambulance, you have to call the hospital and they'll give you a number for the ambulance. And then you call them to pick you up. Good thing I know CPR and first aid for while we are waiting. Let's just hope I don't ever need to use them.
No comments:
Post a Comment