Hunter and I and the kids have kept safe and haven't felt personally threatened at all, thankfully, but I was especially worried and saddened when I had the missionaries over to eat last month and they arrived without ties and name tags. The mission president, who is extra careful to avoid jeopordizing their safety told them not to wear their normal attire so they could blend in.
I take comfort in this statement by Joseph Smith Jr.:
"The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done."
I think of this quote whenever I see how the work is progressing here in the Mombasa branch. Last Sunday, we had three baptisms! It was awesome.
Betty (Miriam's daughter), and Kristabel (Juliet Mwangi's daughter)
And Nicholas (Agnes' son, and Judith's brother--Judith was baptized the same day as Paulo)
We also are beginning to teach another friend named John who wants to know more about the church. He's also a young single adult.
I find it significant that the people who have been being taught by the missionaries and by us have been young adult males. These men, when they are baptized, will be able to be ordained to the priesthood, and one day that priesthood will be able to bless their future wives and children. Like how Fred was able to baptize Betty--the first time he ever baptized anyone. Miriam's family is experiencing the blessings of the priesthood.
And our friend Michael, who was baptized in Madagascar a year ago, has been ordained to the priesthood, has completed the temple class, and is now preparing to return home and be sealed with his fiance in the Johannesburg temple.
I fantasize about a day, maybe 10 or 20 years from now, when these branches will grow into wards and stakes, and when the church will announce a temple in Kenya. I hope for that day. Perhaps these problems are a blessing in disguise. If they have to close the mission--I have no idea if they will--the members will have to step up and do missionary work themselves.
And so the work goes on.


1 comment:
Any word on whether they will close the mission? We had to take our tags off and "blend" in for a time after 9/11.
Post a Comment