5.15.2009

Sewing Experiments

Thought I'd post my recent sewing success stories.

This one is my first attempt at a t-shirt. Some of you may remember the light yellow t-shirt that had butterfly designs on it that Lani gave me a long time ago. Well, it was pretty beat up after wearing it about once a week for the past two years. I even wore it through my pregnancy. Inevitably, I ended up getting a big huge ketchup stain in that one spot on the tummy that all pregnant women get stains, and so I decided to take it apart and use the pieces to make another t-shirt because I liked the cut. Well here it is.



I actually skimped on the fabric a little bit (which I will never do again) and I need to work on the sleeves a little bit (I pinned them the way they're supposed to look for this photo). It should be a couple inches looser and an inch longer, but I think it turned out quite well for my first article of clothing.

Next, I took one of my old, non-flattering work shirts (should have taken a "before" picture) and I cut the sleeves short and gathered them slightly and added a cuff. Then I sewed two stripes on each side four inches down from the top of the shoulder, and gathered the material here so that the collar laid more open and feminine...and voila!


Last of all (for now) I finally made crib bumpers out of the same fabric as the curtains I posted earlier. Yay!!!! I no longer have to go searching on all fours for Andre's pacifiers (they're round and rubber--perfect for bouncing on our wood floors and rolling to the most obscure spots you could imagine. Here's the outside...


...and inside. Turned out pretty well, I think. I used those bumper inserts you can buy and just followed the pattern that came with it.

Only problem is when your child does this...

...the bumpers begin to lose their form a little bit. Not bad, though.

Pretty cool, eh? Now I can say I'm keeping up with my new years resolution to try sewing some cool stuff this year.

1 comment:

natalie malan said...

your shirts are seriously awesome. Do you have a serger? I want to sew my own sooooo bad! but I don't know how to sew jersey fabric....... anyway, yours turned out great!