The next morning, we had a chapter leader training meeting. To give you an idea, the Academy has almost 200 chapters in the Philippines alone. There are nearly 400 chapters if you include Mexico, Peru, and Brazil. That’s 15,000 graduates who have been through the program and have learned how to become entrepreneurs. So Hunter and I were assigned to prepare speeches about personal finance before an audience of about 200 people from the Visayas region. I was specifically asked to share our family’s experience with selling our house and becoming self-reliant. Guess who was first on the program. Me. So I was pretty nervous. I had no previous experience or speech to observe to help me know if what I had prepared was appropriate. But I had worked pretty hard on my speech, so I just went for it. Here’s a link if you want to read it.
At one point in my speech, I was looking out at the crowd and could see almost everybody’s eyes on me. They were all leaning in, listening intently to what I had to say. That made me feel really good. Afterward, people thanked me for my words and said that they could relate with my experience and sacrifice. I’m sure many of them have made bigger sacrifices than to sell a house they love, but I was so glad it was meaningful for them.
Hunter did an excellent job as well. Very thoughtful and well-delivered speech. I hope people learned something valuable from his. It was very thought-provoking.
After a nice lunch, we began the judging process. Each applicant had 10 minutes to present before a panel of four judges and compete for prize money. The other judges were Andy Barfus, a business owner and investor and a very cool and smart man who has been involved with the academy for 17 years. Another judge was Elder Pagaduan of the area presidency of the Seventy. He is a very humble and impressive man. So kind and thoughtful and willing to serve. The last judge was Justin, one of the Gibson’s grandkids who served his mission in Peru and had some very smart and thoughtful insights. After each presentation, there was time alloted to questions and answers. One of the ladies I judged was named Mila and kind of reminded me of my aunties, too. I didn’t realize when I was reviewing the applications the night before that two of the people I would be judging were old mission friends of Hunter in the Quezon City mission. I tried to be unbiased, but as it turns out, those two mission friends were our top choices. All four judges agreed that they were the obvious choice. First place went to Alan Baguio who owns a snack house on a college campus. He was extremely smart about how he started his business. Jhumer Operio has a real estate business. And Lorina Quisito has a cleaning supply business. They did a great job.
After all the judging was over, Hunter and I left to try to catch a jeepney to a mission reunion dinner that Hunter’s friends had arranged. All the jeepneys were full, so we did what any local would do--we walked. It wasn’t that long of a walk, honestly. Maybe a mile and a half. The walk reminded me of Kenya except we blended in more.
When we arrived at the church, Pearlynne and Noreen had set up all the catered food (Hunter paid of course) along a big long table, and Kid had arranged a bunch of tables for eating and a TV, microphone, and guitar for performances afterward. Yes, folks! There’s a reason we always request performances at family gatherings--it’s in our genetics! The food was great! Kid had selected a really good lechon for us. In all my days, I’ve never really liked lechon. I’ve always thought it’s super fatty and tough. But I realize now that’s because I had always had it when it’s been sitting out getting cold. Holy Moly! This lechon was freshly cooked and hot and the skin was crisp and DELICIOUS, and the fat was so hot, it just melted in your mouth like a perfect piece of bacon. Now I understand why every Filipino is obsessed with lechon! The food was great! And meeting all the missionaries I had heard stories about, and their spouses, was so special. I met Elder Sid Cataluna, Hunter’s first greenie and favorite junior companion, who together witnessed many miracles at a difficult time in the mission. Sister Karen Gungob, one of the "Magnificent 8" sisters who were legendary in growing an area that was notorious for being difficult. We each had a chance to either perform a song or share a mission story. They each had such sweet things to say about what Hunter meant to them on the mission. I know it was so meaningful for Hunter to hear that. Then we played games, cleaned and mopped the chapel together, and went home.
No comments:
Post a Comment