7.28.2014

We'll Miss You, Kenya!

We're down to four days until departure. It's funny--I had been feeling just fine--almost numb--about leaving. But then Sunday came and it started to hit me and I was very sad. I found a little doodle that Paulo had done in one of his exercise books that said "I'm leaving Kenya. I'm sad!!!" and had a picture of a stick figure bawling his eyes out. Poor thing--he's sad, too.

The boys will miss greeting our dear friend Dickson every time we'd go in the school gate, and arm wrestling him every time we'd go out. He'd always pretend to lose--he's so great.



Yesterday, we went back to our old stomping grounds around Mkomani Lane, and said goodbye to our old friends:

Hussein, the banana guy.

Benina, the tailor/seamstress, who adjusted all my pants to fit me again.



The folks at Sangam Cafe, Firouz and Naheed

Julia from the duka down the street, who always made me feel welcome even when other neighbors probably thought I was out of place.

Unfortunately, we missed the mzee (old man) from the kibanda down the street, but Hunter snapped this photo a long time ago. He never once over-charged me for vegetables, and I really appreciated that. By the way, do you recognize what he's reading? It's a Joseph F. Smith manual.


Last chance to teach primary.

I love these kids and, as always, am impressed by the thoughtful, searching questions they have about the gospel.

Last chance to serve Hunter's home teaching families. The boys painted a lovely shop sign for Brother Richard's family's business. He wanted the Salt Lake temple painted on there and it's been a conversation starter ever since.


Hunter and I visited Old Town one last time.

WE'LL MISS YOU, KENYA!

2 comments:

Grandpa Sebresos said...

Sry, departing can be such sorrow especially when you liked the people and got to learn their culture, but your family America anxiously awaits you...can't wait to see you and yours, Love Grandpa

leilani said...

Lovely tribute. Lovely people. Xoxo.