11.29.2013

Paulo's Search (Religious Post)

In preparation for Paulo's baptism I have encouraged him to read the scriptures independently for about 5-8 mins each night. I have been assigning him different scriptures to read which relate to baptism and the sacrament. It has been touching to see Paulo sitting quietly, reading to himself, and then describing to me what he understands from the verses.

Last night, somehow we started discussing religion and in particular Paulo's recent interest in the Hindu religion. He attends a Hindu School and most of his friends are Hindi. At times they discuss the Hindu gods and Paulo wonders how they became gods. He said he is often asked if he is a Christian, to which he says, "Yes." He then turned to me and asked, "Is that right? I am Christian?" I asked him what he believes to be the meaning of the word and he answered, "someone who believes in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ." "That's right." I said.

A few other important exchanges happened during the course of our discussion. I asked him how he felt when he discussed with his friends about the Hindu gods and he mentioned that he felt similar to when he learns about Christ but just a little different.

I'm sure there are many LDS parents who would begin to worry about their child learning and having feelings for the beliefs of a different religion. He could be confused and unsure and that could lead to questioning his beliefs. But I saw this as a golden teaching moment in which Paulo could come to his own personal testimony of the truths of the Gospel. In fact, it was confusion, unsurity and questioning that led to the restoration of this Church in the first place. Couldn't a bit of soul searching benefit my son as well?

I committed then not to overreact but to trust that he could find the truth on his own. I said, "Paulo, you are thinking about some really important things and I think it is good that you are interested in what others believe. It's kind of like how Joseph Smith was interested in different religions and then sought to find the truth. Do you want to figure this out on your own or do you want Dad to teach you what we believe?", "A little of both." he said. Perfect.

We talked about the first Article of Faith, which he was able to recite, and how it differs from the Hindu belief in many gods which are often carved into images and adorned with gifts. He seemed to agree with the fact that God should be like a father who looks like us, loves us, and wants to bless us.

I shared with him an example I used on my mission comparing the church of God to a mirror which was broken into many parts, all of which reflect a portion but not the entire truth. The restoration of this mirror/church has led to the complete truth being established on the earth again. Paulo really understood how that could happen especially when we began talking about the similar beliefs that Hindi's have with us. For example, Paulo pointed out the similarity between reincarnation and resurrection and I brought up how we can be exalted to have all that God has which is similar to the Hindu belief that one can possibly become a God if enough lives are lived with good karma.

We also talked about the feeling of the Spirit. During spiritual moments when Paulo was a young toddler he used to say, "Mom, why is it peaceful?" I reminded him of that. The real important moment came later when I said, "Paulo, Mom and Dad would love it if you continued to search your questions about religion, continued to read the scriptures nightly and then one day when you feel it is right, do what Joseph Smith did by praying to ask Heavenly Father if this Church is true. Just make a simple prayer saying 'Heavenly Father I believe this is the true church, is it?' and then wait to see if you feel peaceful. Then you can bear your testimony on Fast Sunday before your baptism." Then I asked Paulo to look me in the eyes. He turned and looked sincerely. I testified to him, "I know Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are the true God and that He has called true prophets to teach us about His true church. Now when I say that to you right now, how do you feel?" "I feel good and peaceful." he said. "If what I said wasn't true, do you think you would feel good and peaceful?", "No," he responded. "Then what does that make you think about the church?" "That it is true," he said. "Ok." I said.

I continued to encourage him to do his own research and find his own answer by preparing for a special day when he could pray for clarity to his curiosities. I told him that we were not about to force him to be baptized and would wait until he came to his own testimony and could answer the Branch President's interview questions with perfect independent integrity.

What a fantastic father–son talk.

I continue to have experiences in life that confirm my belief that conflict leads to real opportunity and despite our continual human tendency to search for comfort and security, it's only life's challenges and struggles that yield genuine growth. I'm so proud of Paulo's questioning nature and I'm thankful that I had a moment to sit with him, to accept his perspective and to discuss matters of eternal importance.

I ask If you are willing, to join me in praying for Paulo and his personal search for truth.

Thanks

-Hunter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You a great Father,my Son....Dad

Jordan and Katie said...

What a wonderful time this is for both Paulo and you both as his Dad. We definitely will pray for Paulo. Sounds like he is very sincere and is gaining his own testimony. We love you Paulo! Thanks for sharing this tender experience.