Sugar cane looks like this:
The people who sell it around here usually have a little cart like the guy in this picture I found online:
They slice off the outside husk with a big knife, and then if you ask them to, they'll cut it into small bite-size pieces like this and bag it up for you. It costs basically 25 cents for a bag like this.
When you bite into it, it's like biting into super crisp, crunchy apple or a juicy piece of celery. Except unlike celery, you can't break down the fibers with your teeth. You just chew, and when the sweet juice has all come out, you spit out the fiber stuff.
The kids like it. It doesn't look like it in this photo, but they do.
This is such a yummy treat! When I first tried it, I thought, "Where has this been all my life!?" Well, after a huge amount of processing, sugar cane is converted to table sugar. That's where it's been all my life. This video about How Sugar is Made is super long, but I thought it was interesting.



1 comment:
Your sugarcane experience brings back memories of when i chewed it in Hawaii, when my Grandpa "Honey" chopped some for my Brother and Sisters. Yea we sucked up the juices and spit out the cud just like you guys did. Enjoy, I know it's way better for you than white table sugar.
Post a Comment