12.12.2013

Write Your Missionary

Miriam's parents invited us to their place in Changamwe. It was a colorful, cool structure. Mama and Baba Miriam (mother and father of Miriam) made us feel very welcome. Mama Miriam prepared a wonderful meal. She even prepared something especially for Reyna. She, like everyone else in our family, wants to fatten her up, and has instructed me on how eating maize can increase my milk supply. Hey, I'll try anything.



Anyway, she was extremely generous and prepared a big meal with way too much food. I made the mistake of finishing all the food on my plate and she scooped a TON more on there. I should have left a few bites. When they said again I needed more food I explained that if I eat more I would be in pain. They said, "Pole" (sorry) and left it at that. Hope I didn't make them feel bad.

Paulo and Andre had fun playing in the common area where people hang their laundry. Some clever Kenyan kids had fashioned their own checkerboard with a black marker and bottle caps. The boys enjoyed playing with the other kids. It was quite sweet.




My favorite part of the night was that we got to show Miriam's parents how to email their daughter Diana, who is currently serving in Ghana. They, like Miriam, were super slow on the keyboard, but they were so happy that they now knew how to keep in contact with Diana through email.




At the end of the evening I surprised them by saying, well, the great thing about email is you not only can send messages, but you can even send photos. So Hunter snapped a photo of all of us and we emailed it then and there. They were delighted and amazed. It just made my day. I love being able to help family members keep in touch with their missionaries.

Why don't Kenyans like to smile for photos? It's so old school.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful family you guys have related to, looks like from the photo, they have taken the Sebresos' Family right in. It's a wonderful relationship because it has "synergy" (you both have taken a custodial responsibility for each other and together have become stronger families), and all through the Church. The LDS faith has a built in "family welcome community" no matter where you are in this world, now that's what I call very special in the Church. The e-mailing must have been so neat to share. Love and Aloha Grandpa
Sebresos

Grandpa Sebresos said...

Aloha (this is just a test)

grandpa Sebresos said...

OK, now I know to comment and not be anonymous, lol.